Hair breakage vs. shedding
Are you finding clumps of hair in your shower? Left on your brush? All over the house?! Sometimes you may even wonder how you have any hair left. It can be disheartening and even stressful seeing how much hair leaves your head, especially if you're looking to grow it to lengths it's never reached. Is your hair naturally shedding or is it meeting an early fate and breaking off?Try this test to find out...
THE BULB TEST
Signs your hair is shedding:
- Take a strand of hair from your comb or brush
- Is the strand the length of your hair? Yes
- Is there a white opaque bulb at the end of the strand? Yes
*This bulb is the follicle in which your hair receives nutrients from your scalp. Once your strand has reached the last stage your scalp releases the bulb.
* On average a person sheds about 80-100 hairs a day.
Signs your hair is Breaking:
- Is the strand shorter than your hair length? No
- Is there a white opaque bulb at the end of the strand? If there is no bulb, your hair has broken before it was ready
*Excessive shedding (losing more than average strands) is usually an indicator of a health issue. Excessive shedding may be caused by stress, poor diet, medications, and hormonal activity such as pregnancy